Director of Engineering
PLEASE NOTE: This position is based in our Swiss HQ in Mendrisio, Switzerland, just 7km over the border from Como, Italy. Mendrisio is easily commutable from Milan, Como, Varese or Lugano and Cloud Academy provides the train ticket for you!
Cloud Academy is the leading digital skills development platform that enables every enterprise to become a tech company through guided Learning Paths, Hands-on Labs, and Skill Assessment. Cloud Academy delivers role-specific training on the leading cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform), essential methodologies needed to operate on and between clouds (DevOps, security, containers), and capabilities that are unlocked by the cloud (big data, machine learning).
Companies like Turner, Cognizant, SAS, and ThermoFisher customize Cloud Academy to contextualize learning and leverage the platform to assign, manage, and measure cloud enablement at scale. Learn more at cloudacademy.com.
What are We Looking For?
We are looking for an experienced Director of Engineering who can provide the technical vision and oversight for multiple engineering teams. This position will take full ownership of key products and features, from software design to deployment, and will work directly with our engineering teams to deliver exciting new products. This is both a strategic and a hands-on development role, including tasks such as code reviews, coding new enhancements and new microservices for the platform, maintaining existing code, driving architectural decisions and ensuring a superior user experience. We need a smart engineer who can pick up and understand complex technical areas quickly, is enthusiastic about building new products and can write scalable/high performance code.
As Director of Engineering you own our infrastructure and technical vision and in this role you should expect to spend a considerable amount of time thinking about the technologies we use, defining our vision and roadmap, and coaching/working with our people. We believe the perfect person is a people-person who loves to recruit and develop the best talents and bring them to the next step in their career at Cloud Academy.
Cloud Academy works with some of the most important organizations world-wide, you will join and lead key customer meetings and projects together with our CEO, CTO and the rest of the executive team. You should expect to talk about our engineering vision, technologies and definitely about our approach to security and privacy when it comes to building our enterprise software capabilities.
- Own the technology stack / architecture for multiple product areas.
- Be a leader for your team with constant clear and direct communication to the engineering team
- Constantly recruit and develop the best talents in our team - hiring and recruiting will be one of your most important areas
- Rapidly deliver high quality, well-tested and clean code.
- Research and advocate for the latest tools and frameworks.
- Manage, develop and mentor a stellar team of software engineers.
- Collaborate closely with the CTO, Product Managers and Product Designers to architect new products and features.
- Communicate with the rest of the company (e.g. sales, marketing, UX, etc) to ensure the functionality you're implementing is what was intended.
- Advanced to expert level knowledge and understanding of enterprise architecture, application systems design and integration.
Experience with one of the following: IAM (Identity and Access Management), SSO (single-sign-on), SAML (security association markup language) and/or security features like 2FA (two-factor authentication).
Experience in security incident response and investigations.
10+ years of relevant experience.
Solid experience working with two or more of the following: Web application development, Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, development of large software systems, and/or security software development.
Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages (e.g. Python, C/C++, Ruby, Java, Go).
Experience with best web practices including A/B testing.
Passion for coding, web technologies, and shipping features that drive user adoption.
Experience with both relational and NoSQL databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis.
Experience working with at least one of the following cloud vendors: AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure.
Appropriate use of the file system, cloud storage, network resources, and an understanding of data redundancy and availability is necessary.
Ability to work independently, with a sense of urgency and integrity.
High Level of English proficiency, both written and spoken.
Passion for and experience in e-learning projects is a strong bonus.
Ability to find creative solutions to interesting problems.
Curious with a constant desire to learn and collaborate.
Strong desire to join a small, growing company and help it succeed!
- Competitive salary with an annual bonus
- Budget for professional development
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year
- Great company culture and work environment
- Highly-skilled teammates and lots of opportunities for growth and development