Sr Backend Engineer
Lugano, Ticino, SwitzerlandEngineering
PLEASE NOTE: This position can be either:
- based in the UK. A trip to our office in Switzerland (expenses paid by the company) one week per quarter, to work onsite with the team, is required
- in our Swiss HQ in Mendrisio, Switzerland, which is 7km over the border from Italy and easily commutable from Milan, Como, Varese or Lugano. We are also happy to assist with your relocation to this beautiful part of Europe and we have a hybrid remote working policy
Cloud Academy is a hyper-growth upskilling and reskilling SaaS company, focused on enabling enterprise customers to have full transparency and control over their tech workforce skills readiness. In a rapidly changing cloud technical landscape where there is an increasing tech skills gap in the market, combined with the difficulty organizations are facing to retain tech talent and the demands for numerous technical certifications, companies need the ability to manage these skills at scale more than ever. We help over 1000 customers visualize, assess, transform and measure their teams’ tech skills readiness through a unique Skills Intelligence Platform, powered by world-class cloud training content. Companies like Warner Media, Deloitte, JP Morgan Chase, and Walmart trust Cloud Academy with their technical cloud skills readiness at scale, so they can achieve their cloud business goals.
We are a global team, with colleagues in over 14 countries worldwide. We are a diverse team that is innovative, collaborative, pragmatic and passionate about making an impact. We thrive on a common vision, we obsess about our customers and learners, and we take pride in the quality of our work. Most importantly, we know that individually we are only as good as our teams are, and we always have each others’ backs.
We are seeking driven, highly competent, and creative team players to join us on the next phase of our growth story, as we scale our winning products to help even more customers and learners.
Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled educational content to developers worldwide!
We’re looking for a Sr Back-End Engineer to help us take our product to the next level. We move seamlessly from full-stack web development, to mobile, to deployment/scaling. This position will take ownership of how features are implemented, from user experience to backend, involving our web app, mobile app, APIs, and backend infrastructure. You’ll have an opportunity to make a large impact on the culture of our development team.
Our ideal candidate is a humble leader, equally capable of teaching and learning.
- Be able to write well-structured, maintainable, idiomatic code with good documentation; unit tests for every feature, bug fixing, and code reviews.
- Communicate with the rest of the company (e.g. sales, marketing, UX, etc) to ensure the functionality you're implementing is what was intended.
- Collaborate on a cross-functional team, including frontend developers, designers and product managers, in order to quickly deliver new features.
- Work closely with the Operations Team to ensure smooth deployments, ensuring that errors are logged with enough info to debug effectively.
- Passion for coding, web technologies, and shipping features that drive user adoption
- Solid experience in coding with backend programming languages, such as Python, Go, Java, NodeJS, C/C++, C#. Experience with Python, Django, Celery, or ORM is preferred
- Solid experience with relational databases and with other types of databases (no SQL): PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis is an advantage
- Experience with distributed version control systems: mostly Git (Github and/or Bitbucket)
- Familiarity with cloud-oriented technologies: AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku, Docker
- Familiar with cloud architecture patterns and best practices for designing highly available, scalable, and secure systems.
- Good level of English proficiency, both spoken and written
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a sense of urgency and integrity
- Passion for and experience in e-learning projects is a strong bonus
- Ability to find creative solutions to interesting problems
- Competitive compensation and a bonus plan
- Four weeks of paid vacation per year (that increases to five weeks after two years with the company!) plus one day off per year to volunteer at your favorite non-profit