Staff Engineer, Back-end (Remote or on-site)
RemoteLugano, Ticino, SwitzerlandEngineering
PLEASE NOTE: This position can be either:
- a 100% remote position for full-time contractors located in Europe (within the time zones UTC to UTC+2) or employees located in UK. A trip to our office in Switzerland (expenses paid by the company) one week per quarter, to work onsite with the team, is required.
- based in our Swiss HQ in Mendrisio, Switzerland, which is 7km over the border from Italy and easily commutable from Milan, Como, Varese or Lugano. We are also happy to assist with your relocation to this beautiful part of Europe and we have a hybrid remote working policy.
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Cloud Academy in general
- Lead technical cooperation with external suppliers, designing and implementing effective and maintainable integrations with third party systems
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Cloud Academy
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to identify and solve interesting and challenging problems
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to determine how to scalably design backend systems and APIs to meet their needs
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Collaborate with the HR department performing technical assessments on candidates for roles on the Engineering team
- Hands on technical leadership experience leading project teams and setting technical direction
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems
- Passion for coding, web technologies, and shipping features that drive user adoption
- Solid experience with one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, Kotlin, Go, Java, NodeJS, C/C++, C#).
- Solid experience with relational databases and with other type of databases (no sql): PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis is an advantage
- Advanced knowledge and experience on modern web patterns: AJAX, RESTful APIs, SOA, WebSocket, client-side rendering, etc.
- Experience with distributed version control systems: mostly Git (Github and/or Bitbucket)
- Familiarity with cloud-oriented technologies: AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku
- Solid experience working and designing with Docker based systems
- Familiarity with cloud architecture patterns and best practices for designing highly available, scalable and secure systems
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages
- Good level of English proficiency, both spoken and written
- Competitive compensation and a bonus plan
- Four weeks of paid vacation per year (that increases to five weeks after two years with the company!) plus one day off per year to volunteer at your favorite non-profit
Equality & Diversity:
We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. We ensure that all applicants are treated equally and fairly throughout our recruitment process. We are determined that no applicant experiences discrimination on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, age, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran status, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, socio-economic background, neuro-diversity, education, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.