Staff Engineer, Back-end (Remote or on-site)
RemoteLugano, Ticino, SwitzerlandEngineering
PLEASE NOTE: This is either an onsite role based in our Swiss office in Mendrisio, Switzerland (it's just 7km and is easily commutable from Milan, Como, Varese or Lugano) or a 100% remote position for candidates based in Europe who speak fluent English and are willing and able to spend around a week per quarter in our Swiss Office (travel expenses covered). We are also happy to assist with your relocation to this beautiful part of Europe.
Cloud Academy is a hyper-growth upskilling and reskilling SaaS company, focused on enabling enterprise customers to have full transparency and control over their tech workforce skills readiness. In a rapidly changing cloud technical landscape where there is an increasing tech skills gap in the market, combined with the difficulty organizations are facing to retain tech talent and the demands for numerous technical certifications, companies need the ability to manage these skills at scale more than ever. We help over 1000 customers visualize, assess, transform and measure their teams’ tech skills readiness through a unique Skills Intelligence Platform, powered by world-class cloud training content. Companies like Warner Media, Deloitte, JP Morgan Chase, and Walmart trust Cloud Academy with their technical cloud skills readiness at scale, so they can achieve their cloud business goals.
We are a global team, with colleagues in over 14 countries worldwide. We are a diverse team that is innovative, collaborative, pragmatic and passionate about making an impact. We thrive on a common vision, we obsess about our customers and learners, and we take pride in the quality of our work. Most importantly, we know that individually we are only as good as our teams are, and we always have each others’ backs.
We are seeking driven, highly competent, and creative team players to join us on the next phase of our growth story, as we scale our winning products to help even more customers and learners.
Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled educational content to developers worldwide!
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to help us take our product to the next level. We move seamlessly from full-stack web development, to mobile, to deployment/scaling. In this position you will take ownership of how features are implemented, from user experience to backend, involving our web app, mobile app, APIs and backend infrastructure.
You’ll have an opportunity to make a large impact on the culture of our development team.
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Cloud Academy in general
- Lead technical cooperation with external suppliers, designing and implementing effective and maintainable integrations with third party systems
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Cloud Academy
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to identify and solve interesting and challenging problems
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to determine how to scalably design backend systems and APIs to meet their needs
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Collaborate with the HR department performing technical assessments on candidates for roles on the Engineering team
- Hands on technical leadership experience leading project teams and setting technical direction
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems
- Passion for coding, web technologies, and shipping features that drive user adoption
- Solid experience with one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, Kotlin, Go, Java, NodeJS, C/C++, C#).
- Solid experience with relational databases and with other type of databases (no sql): PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis is an advantage
- Advanced knowledge and experience on modern web patterns: AJAX, RESTful APIs, SOA, WebSocket, client-side rendering, etc.
- Experience with distributed version control systems: mostly Git (Github and/or Bitbucket)
- Familiarity with cloud-oriented technologies: AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku
- Solid experience working and designing with Docker based systems
- Familiarity with cloud architecture patterns and best practices for designing highly available, scalable and secure systems
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages
- Good level of English proficiency, both spoken and written
- Competitive compensation and a bonus plan
- Four weeks of paid vacation per year (that increases to five weeks after two years with the company!) plus one day off per year to volunteer at your favorite non-profit
Equality & Diversity:
We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. We ensure that all applicants are treated equally and fairly throughout our recruitment process. We are determined that no applicant experiences discrimination on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, age, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran status, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, socio-economic background, neuro-diversity, education, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.